Major refurbishment of a group of five Grade II listed buildings – formerly the Legal
and General buildings of 1886, the Union Bank Building of 1856, Dicks Coffee House
of 1708 and the Rainbow Tavern of circa 1680.
The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple acquired the empty and endangered
listed buildings and commissioned BBF Fielding Ltd to create modern barristers’
chambers within the fabric of this historic group of buildings. On completion of the
£12million refurbishment and renovation Quadrant Chambers occupied the building
The concept for the refurbishment was relatively simple; a modern intervention in the
form of a central atrium space, to unite the five buildings that make up the site. This
atrium, with its attendant lifts and staircases resolved the numerous different floor
levels both within and between buildings.
The Corporation of London used the scheme as a benchmark for disabled access in
historic buildings and the project received a High Commendation from The London
District Surveyors Association.
Major refurbishment of a group of five Grade II listed buildings
Project Status: Full Commission - Completed
Value: £12 million